Meals of the Great.

So i tend to read a lot ; a lot by my standards that is.

In every book the characters eat, or at least they should otherwise they're not really realistic.
I know this may sound strange but i love to eat, who doesn't . so my intrigue with what characters are eating stems deep.
It describes them, the same way how i eat almost the same breakfast every morning describes me.
- i like patterns, routine , my meal choice i healthy and unusual.
So it leads me to think when an author chooses a specific meal for a character there must be a reason right ?

Over the next couple weeks i am going to examine some of the meals i personally have come across in movies and books.
They will include but are not limited to :
(and if you have any recommendations i welcome them gladly)

- Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar
The protagonists consistent obsession with avocados .

"Avocados are my favorite fruit. Every Sunday my grandfather used to bring me an avocado pear hidden at the bottom of his briefcase under six soiled shirts and the Sunday comics. He taught me how to eat avocados by melting grape jelly and french dressing together in a saucepan and filling the cup of the pear with the garnet sauce. I felt homesick for that sauce. "
An interesting pairing, nonetheless it will be tested in my kitchen.

“a vision of the celestially white kitchens of Ladies’ Day stretching into infinity. I saw avocado pear after avocado pear being stuffed with crabmeat and mayonnaise and photographed under brilliant lights. I saw the delicate, pink-mottled claw meat poking seductively through its blanket of mayonnaise and the bland yellow year cup with its rim of alligator-green cradling the whole mess.” 

-Ernest Hemmingway's The Garden of Eden
David Bourne the male lead is constantly eating eggs for breakfast, the better is marriage the better the eggs. The worse it gets the simpler is eggs become.
At the beginning of the marriage his eggs are served as such:

"[...]there was brioche and red raspberry preserve and the eggs were boiled and there was a pat of butter that melted as they stirred them and salted them lightly and ground pepper over them in the cups. They were big eggs and fresh and the girl's were not cooked quite as long as the young man's he remembered that easily and he was happy with his which he diced up with the spoon and ate with the only the flow of the butter to moisten them and the fresh early morning texture and the bite of the coarsely ground pepper grains and the hot coffee and the chickory-fragrant bowl of cafe au lait."

Near the end :

"the girl went into the kitchen and came out with oeufs au plat aver jambon and english mustard and Sorova [...] he wiped the last of the egg and mustard up from the shallow dish with a small piece of bread and then drank some tea"

Quite literally , the worse the sex becomes, and the more non existent it is (the sex that is) the food becomes less important.

For now i will start with these examples. I will interpret these meals as my own and feature them in the coming weeks on the blog. 

For all the foodies out there, stay tuned.







No comments:

Post a Comment